Monday, March 9, 2009

THE Example of Down Syndrome

When Brennan was about 4 months old, my Mom and I took him and his big brother Parker for a walk. Parker had just turned 2 years old. We were walking along a path near the harbor and the only thing Parker wanted to do was to play by the water. He absolutely would not walk on the path. After many unsuccessful attempts to keep him away from the water - I finally put Brennan in the sling and put Parker into Brennan's stroller. Needless to say, Parker was not pleased with this arrangement and proceeded to scream all the way back to the car. People passing by would look at him, then look at me with that knowing smile - understanding how 2 year olds can be. My Mom and I wondered, in a couple of years, if the same situation played out with Brennan as the screaming child in the stroller, would people look at us differently? As if to say "so, that's what it's like to have a child with Down syndrome." My assumption is that they would. It seems that people will always attribute his behavior, good or bad, to him having Down syndrome rather than to his own unique personality. Given that he may be the only person with Down syndrome that many of our friends and acquaintances ever know - Brennan actually will be THE example of Down syndrome for them. Seems like alot of pressure for one little guy - don't you think?

3 comments:

Wendy P said...

I always say that Kira's extra chromosome also came with two jobs - she's an ambassador and I'm an advocate. Neither of us chose those jobs - but most of the time, I think we're so blessed to have them.

Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog - I'm looking forward to reading yours, too! What a gorgeous family!

The Sanchez Family said...

Hi Sharon!
Thanks for your comment on my blog :)! We went dairy free after we had our first visit to the Institutes. That is one of their first recommendations for good physiological health. Have you read The China Study? or the very humorous Skinny Bitch? We stopped it for so so so many different reasons and although there are times when it slides....like at other people's homes or when we go to a frozen yogurt place....for the most part we are dairy free. Joaquin will never be introduced to it. Let me know if you have other questions about it but I HIGHLY recommend The China Study. One of the best books ever written for nutritional science.

The Sanchez Family said...

OOOPS!!! Scratch that last comment!!! Oh my gosh I'm losing my mind. I was responding about the dairy based on someone else's comment! I meant to write to you about coming to Sacramento!!
The Hyatt is a GORGEOUS hotel and perfect location but if you are looking for more of a suite, the Embassy Suites in Old Sacramento is also awesome. It is on the river and walking distance to lots of fun shopping. It's a long walk to the Convention Center but doable. You could also take a very quick drive, taxi or maybe even a bus. I would also be happy to pick you guys up and take you on the days of the convention if you didn't want to hassle with parking at the Convention Center. So excited! Please keep in touch about it.
And again, sooooooo sorry about the dairy talk...no need at all for you to read it :)!